11/25/11

Alta Ski Resort Review

We wanted to take the kids skiing.  None of them had ever been skiing before.  My husband and I enjoy skiing quite a bit and wanted our kids (ages 7-11) to have the same experiences.  After recently moving to Utah we decided it was time to start teaching them the basics.

I looked up lots of places and prices but it seemed like so much money.  I didn't want to spend hundreds and have them decide skiing wasn't for them.
Then I stumbled upon this web page.  You can see it HERE.

Alta ski resort in Little Cottonwood Canyon has several beginners ski runs with rope tows and ski lifts for FREE.  Yeah, I didn't believe it either.  So I called.  It was true.  Seriously-- FREE!! 
You can see for yourself HERE.

So we packed the kids in the car and went to see what it was all about.  We rented right on location in front of the hills at Alta.  They had good prices and were super helpful.  They were very patient with my kids and even gave them a few tips.
We hit the slopes and I'm not going to lie.  It was painful.  My kids weren't natural born skiers.  But after lots of practice, they got the hang of it.  It was really helpful that it was beginners only.  Everyone there was learning or helping someone learn.  It was the perfect environment for our kids to pick up the basics.

Things you need to know...

1.  It is FREE.  The ropes are open all day long.  The free lift opens from 3-5:30.  It's a really long, great run.

2.  The for a family of 6 our rentals totaled $77.  That included poles, boots, and skis.

3.  You will be so tired by the end of the day.  But it will be rewarding when your student finally catches on.

4.  It's kinda like having a live view of America's Funniest Home Videos.  I saw more wipe outs in one afternoon than I'd like to admit.  It was very entertaining.

2 comments:

ashleymhc said...

This is how we first started our kids skiing too! That rope tow can be tricky. It's been a few years since we have been there, but our youngest kids--ages 3 and 5 at the time could not hang on the rope tow themselves, so we would put the small kids between our legs, they would hold our legs, and we (mom or dad) would hold the rope. This does require mom and dad to have a bit of skiing experience! But so fun.

Chelsea said...

This is so cool! I never knew that Alta did this!?